E-way bill for five more states starting on 25 April!
The intra-state e-way bill rollout continues with:
- Arunachal Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh
Will all implement intra-state e way bill on Wednesday 25 April 2018? Delhi, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal all are still to come for implementation. As the total number of intra-state e-way bills start to rise, the system continues to handle the load well.
Presently, the e-way bill system is configured for 75 lakh e way bills per day. At present inter-state and intra-states have been following e way bills for the following locations:
- Andhra Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh
The system has had a peak of 12 lakh e-way bills a day. Therefore, there is plenty of capacity in the system to handle the surge which will come as the last remaining states begin requiring e-way bill on intra-state movements.
The system continues to expand and encompass more states and deliveries. If you are in one of the states where it already applies you will either have started issuing or receiving the e way bills it is time to make sure that you can issue this documents easily, on time and accurately.
Errors in the document generation can lead to downstream problems which could ultimately impact a vendor rating especially if the problems are in the tax amounts which have to be posted on the invoice.
While an e way bill is required for all shipments greater than 50km and over 50,000 there are some requirements which everyone should be mindful of.
- First, when the shipment is inter-state then there is no distance safe harbor – you must generate an e-way bill if the goods move between two states.
- Second, when you generate an e way bill, you have to be careful to note which commodities an e-way bill is not required for such as LPG for a household.
- Third, after the generation of the e-way bill while there can be an automatic acceptance – the recipient has the option to reject the e-way bill for a period of up to 72 hours.
- Fourth, when the conveyance is non-motorized, there is no need for the e way bill.
When you consider the different rules in place and how distance, value and commodity factor in, It is better to have a consistent approach with a checklist to ensure that you generate e-way bills for the correct and appropriate shipments.
Keep these tips in mind:
- Know the value of the shipment exclusive of tax
- Know where you are shipping to
- Know how many transport legs could occur
- Remember not all transport modes or transports require an e-way bill