As an acknowledgement that the taxpayer has paid tax for the movement of goods, e-Waybill is essential for monitoring, the same needs to be produced when a government official request for it during the transportation. Though there is a centralized system now earlier, it was never the case! Every individual state had its own e way bill concepts with its formats and policies. State government officials reported that there are high chances of producing duplicate e waybill in many cases and there were many operational challenges involved to generate e way bills.
Top concerns that led to the implementation of e-Way Bill:
- Different formats, permits, etc. across different states led to a massive confusion and even led to duplication in some cases,
- Submitting the utilization form at the end of every month,
- Controlling the tax evasion by minimizing the human intervention,
- Difficulty in seeking blank delivery notes like making several visits to tax office,
- Detention of truck at check posts, etc. for longer period,
- Slow and delay in the process to generate e way bill delaying the shipment delivery date and speed,
- Registration requirement for the transporter is given optional,
- Different forms had to be filed for different goods to different states.
Considering all the challenges stated above the central government decided to generate e way bill under GST. As per the statistics around 40% shipments faced delayed detention affecting the delivery dates leaving the consignor and consignee clueless about the shipment status, location and the reason why that particular shipment is detained. Though the consignments/ shipments accompanied by the invoice, it is mandatory to carry e way bill across India. Heading with several challenges the supply of goods facility thought they should simplify the system by introducing the concept of generating E Way Bill. E- Way Bill is a huge relief for the logistics and transportation industry.
Though e- Way Bill is a relatively old concept, which has already been executed in multiple states with different names now the government is trying to make it nationally recognizable & implementable making it the single point of contact for all the stakeholders, i.e., Consignor, consignee, transporter, and government officer.
What challenges did the government face to generate e-Way Bill? To what extent the process made simple after e- Way Bill implementation? Who is benefitting out from e-Way Bill roll out? Is the public really happy about the e-Way bill?